Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ah, the joy of living back in the South







This morning brought quite a surprise! My wonderful snake loving son came knocking frantically on the door...he always wants to come in a locked door after going out another door! Anyway, he comes calling that "there is a copperhead!" We have lived here a year and fortunately, have only found non-venomous snakes in the yard. Well, today was a different story! Underneath our downspout splash guard nestled a 19 1/2 inch copperhead. It was not his lucky day! I insisted that Nicholas go fetch a hoe! He, of course, had to have pictures first. So, now you get to enjoy them. You'll have to visit his site to see the de-capitated photos. There is a good one showing the vertical eyes...ugh! My first thought was it's time to move back up north. But my second thought, which should have been my first thought, was Praise God that this was the first venomous snake we have seen in the year that we have been here and Praise God this one didn't bite anyone, as I believe it's been here for a few days! In the future we will pay more attention when our German Shepherd is excitedly sniffing around the downspout covers!!

2 comments:

Nicholas said...

Creepy, huh? :-)

Anonymous said...

creepy, yeah! It's a good thing you've got wildlife lover Nicholas there to search these things out for you. If it was us Robinettes, I'd have to deal with that snake! Of course, if I was up there, I'd just call Nick. Good job, Nick!
Y'all have a great day! love to you from Florida, Michele